Last of the Westland Whigs

In the late 17th century, the 'Westland Whigs' were the radical descendants of earlier Covenanters who had defied the absolutist rule of Stuart kings in south west Scotland.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gaelic in Galloway Part One DGNHAS 2011


Volume 85 (2011) of the Third Series of the Transactions of the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society has now been published and my article on Gaelic in Galloway -Part One is now in print.

I found the Transactions in Castle Douglas library after I moved back here in 1997. They are a wonderful resource for local historians and I have spent many hours reading through them and copying interesting articles. The DGNHAS was founded in 1862 so there were quite a few back issues to go through.

I have been a member of the Society for 12 years, but until last year never got around to contributing an article myself. I already have Gaelic in Galloway Part Two written and ideas for a few more. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home